How to make Raspberry French Silk Bars
As the name suggests, two out of three layers will just melt in your mouth, & feel like silk. The bottom layer adds a crunch & stability to the bars, while the raspberry spread adds a bit of interesting mix to the whole chocolate theme. These bars could also be called Chocolate pie bars or Triple chocolate decadence; (if using chocolate cookies) as you get three layers of pure divine chocolate with a hint of Raspberry burst for an interesting element.
My older one requested that I make something chocolaty, like a cookie-cake combo. I opted for this drool worthy dessert, since I remembered seeing this recipe in the Very Merry Cookies book sitting on my bookshelf. The recipe does seem a bit long as it involves three recipes in one, but not to worry; check out the step by step pictorials below. All recipes have been listed out for your convenience. Scroll down for Chocolate crumb crust & Raspberry Ganache recipes. Sharing this chocolate lovers recipe with my friends at Sri Valli's CCChallenge # 29.
Bake 10 mins Chill 2 hours
Ingredients:· 1 cup whipping cream
· 1/2 cup chopped semisweet chocolate (3 ounces)
· 1/2 cup chopped bittersweet chocolate (3 ounces)
· 1/3 cup sugar
· 1/3 cup butter
· 2 egg yolks, beaten
· 3 tablespoons whipping cream
· 1/2 cup raspberry preserves or seedless raspberry jam
· 1 recipe Raspberry Ganache (Scroll down for recipe)
· 1 recipe Chocolate Crumb Crust (Scroll down for recipe)
· Raspberries (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with foil, extending the foil over the edges of the pan. Press Chocolate Crumb Crust (scroll down for recipe) onto the bottom and slightly up the sides of the prepared pan. Bake about 10-12 minutes or until crust is set. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, for the filling, in a heavy medium saucepan combine whipping cream, semisweet chocolate, bittersweet chocolate, sugar, and butter. Cook and stir over low heat about 10 minutes or until chocolates are melted and smooth. Remove from heat. Gradually stir a small amount of the hot mixture into beaten egg yolks & whisk. Now add egg yolk mixture to chocolate mixture in saucepan. Stir & cook over medium-low heat about 5 minutes or until mixture is slightly thickened and bubbly.
- Remove from heat. (Mixture may appear slightly curdled.) Stir in the whipping cream. Place saucepan in a bowl of ice water. Stir occasionally about 20 minutes or until mixture stiffens and becomes hard to stir.
- Beat the raspberry preserves with a fork & spread over the cooled crust. Beat filling with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 2 to 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Spread filling over preserves. Cover and chill for 1 to 2 hours or until firm.
- Spoon Raspberry Ganache (scroll down for recipe) over chilled mixture in baking pan, gently spreading into an even layer. Cover and chill for 1 to 2 hours more or until firm. Using the edges of the foil, lift uncut bars out of pan. Cut into bars. If desired, garnish with fresh raspberries.
Raspberry Ganache Recipe:
Ingredients:· 1 cup chopped semisweet chocolate or chocolate pieces
· 1/3 cup whipping cream
· 1 tablespoon seedless raspberry jam
In a large glass measuring cup combine chocolate, whipping cream, and raspberry jam. Microwave on 100 percent power (high) about 1 minute or until melted, stirring every 30 seconds. Let stand about 1 hour or until slightly thickened.
Chocolate Crumb Crust Recipe:
Ingredients:· 2 cups finely crushed chocolate wafers, chocolate graham crackers (crisp chocolate cookies) or any crisp cookies (about 38 cookies)
· 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
· 2 tablespoons sugar
· 1/2 cup melted butter
In a medium bowl combine crushed wafers, flour, and sugar. Add butter; stir until well combined.
- If you are not crazy about bittersweet chocolate, substitute milk chocolate bars/chips instead of semisweet & bittersweet variety.
- You can choose to use other crisp cookies to make the crust too.
- TO STORE: Place bars in a single layer in an airtight container; cover. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Do not freeze.