How to make Kalyana Maangai Oorugai / Instant Mango Pickle
This was the first pickle I learnt how to make - its that simple. If you have ever tasted this pickle (probably at a south indian wedding feast); it's just too hard to resist making this spicy instant pickle (unless raw mangoes are out of season). They are so easy to make, yet so satisfying with curd rice. The shelf life is about a week in the refrigerator, so plan accordingly, unless you are willing to share it ;o) Sharing this quick & delicious pickle from my recipe book with my friends at CCC# 34: July - Week 4.
1 Raw (Sour/Unripe) Mango - Chopped very fine
Red Chilli powder - 3/4th to 1 Tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/8 Tsp
Salt to taste
Fenugreek seeds - 1/4 Tsp
Sesame Oil - 3 Tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1 Tsp
1 or 2 dry red Chillies, broken
Asafoetida powder- 1/4 Tsp
Stove Top Method:
- Wash the Mango - slice, julienne & chop as finely as possible and transfer to a bowl.
- Dry roast the Fenugreek seeds until aromatic & golden (do not burn). Pound them with mortar and a pestle and set aside.
- To the finely chopped Mango, add the pounded Fenugreek powder, red Chilli powder, Salt & Turmeric powder.
- Heat a mini kadai/wok with Sesame oil on low-medium heat - add the Mustard seeds. When they splutter, add broken red chilli and Asafoetida powder. Turn the heat off, once the chilli is fried and pour the Oil onto the bowl with the Mango and spices.
- Toss or mix in with a clean, dry spoon. Cover and store in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- Serve with Curd/Yogurt rice or with your favorite meal.
- Use the Mango along with the skin.
- Take care not to burn the fenugreek seeds, as they will turn very bitter, if burnt.
- Refrigerate, store in a glass container, tightly covered and use within a week's time.