How to make Kathirikai Vathakal/Sauteed Brinjal
Brinjals are one of the versatile vegetables, don't you think? Anyway you cook it, they adapt to your ingredients & method. Those are some of the reasons, why I use them a lot in my kitchen. This recipe requires no Onions or Tomatoes, so I ended up making this when I ran out of most of the groceries & had just the ingredients needed for this recipe; which i found in a book that Mom had given me. Just in time for the CCChallenge, I had signed up for! This was so good to eat by itself that half of, what i made, got over even before our meal time. That made me think it could even be served on tooth picks :) A recipe so simple shouldn't be left out, without trying!
Small purple Brinjals - 250 gms (about 8 no:s)
Oil - 1 Tbsp
Salt - as needed
Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
Grind to a smooth paste:
Green chillies - 4 no:s
Coriander leaves - 1/2 bunch
Roughly chopped Ginger - 3 Tbsp
Garlic cloves - 6 no:s
- Slice each Brinjal into 6 pieces & drop it into a bowl of water.
- If you have access to a microwave, spread the Brinjal slices on a plate & sprinkle some salt on top & micro on high for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, cover the plate with another microwave safe plate & flip the plate to transfer the Brinjal slices onto the cool plate, sprinkle some salt on top & microwave on high for another 5 minutes. Check whether the slices are cooked by inserting a knife & remove from the microwave.
- If you are using a kadai, heat some oil & saute the Brinjals dry until they are done & set aside.
- Heat a non-stick pan with oil & saute the ground paste in the oil until you get a good aroma.
- Once the Coriander paste is cooked , add the precooked Brinjal slices & saute until well done.
- Check the seasoning & turn off the heat, once the Brinjals are cooked & squeeze some lemon juice on top, mix it & serve hot. Sending this in to Srivalli's CCChallenge