November 3, 2013

Chettinaad Kathirikai Vathakal (Sauteed Brinjal)

How to make Kathirikai Vathakal/Sauteed Brinjal


                      Brinjals are one of the versatile vegetables, don't you think? Anyway you cook it, they adapt to your ingredients & method. Those are some of the reasons, why I use them a lot in my kitchen. This recipe requires no Onions or Tomatoes, so I ended up making this when I ran out of most of the groceries & had just the ingredients needed for this recipe; which i found in a book that Mom had given me. Just in time for the CCChallenge, I had signed up for! This was so good to eat by itself  that half of, what i made, got over even before our meal time. That made me think it could even be served on tooth picks :) A recipe so simple shouldn't be left out, without trying!


Chettinaad Kathirikai Vathakal (Sauteed Brinjal)



Ingredients:

Small purple Brinjals - 250 gms (about 8 no:s)
Oil - 1 Tbsp
Salt - as needed
Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp 

Grind to a smooth paste:

Green chillies - 4 no:s
Coriander leaves - 1/2 bunch
Roughly chopped Ginger - 3 Tbsp
Garlic cloves - 6 no:s


  • Slice each Brinjal into 6 pieces & drop it into a bowl of water.
  • If you have access to a microwave, spread the Brinjal slices on a plate & sprinkle some salt on top & micro on high for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, cover the plate with another microwave safe plate & flip the plate to transfer the Brinjal slices onto the cool plate, sprinkle some salt on top & microwave on high for another 5 minutes. Check whether the slices are cooked by inserting a knife & remove from the microwave. 
  • If you are using a kadai, heat some oil & saute the Brinjals dry until they are done & set aside.
  • Heat a non-stick pan with oil & saute the ground paste in the oil until you get a good aroma. 
  • Once the Coriander paste is cooked , add the precooked Brinjal slices & saute until well done. 
  • Check the seasoning & turn off the heat, once the Brinjals are cooked & squeeze some lemon juice on top, mix it & serve hot. 




    Sending this in to Srivalli's CCChallenge


 

16 comments:

  1. Am not a big brinjal fan but this seems quick and like something I would enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow... no onion or tomato still looking yummm.... love it

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an interesting way to cook brinjal, good to have you join us for the challenge..:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for having me, Valli! The credit goes to you, for all the inspiration :)

      Delete
  4. Can have this vathakal happily with some curd rice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. very very flavorful and yummy vathakal with brinjal :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for browsing through & leaving your valuable comments, ladies :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sometimes cook green chili coriander brinjal but I do not microwave it. I saute it directly in oil. Sometimes I also add grind some onion with the green chilies and rest of the grinding ingredients for more masala. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Usha, your recipe reminds me of some yummy stuffed brinjals :)

      Delete
  8. the paste must make this so flavorful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right, Mirelle. The paste is very aromatic :)

      Delete
  9. Good one. I also make it with a slight variation, though I am allergic to egg plants .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never tried with a ground paste and I love brinjal. Will try this soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My mom used to make this curry. Yours looks yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanx Harini, Padmajha & Pavani, do try this, I'm sure you will like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a new recipe to me! Looks yummy :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...