December 10, 2013

Lobia Rassedar / Black Eyed Peas in Aromatic Gravy

How to make Lobia Rassedar


                  I was a stranger to the black eyed peas until my better half introduced these nutritious beans to me.  I wonder why, these tasty beans were never a part of our diet, in my mom's place... Was it because it was not easily available, where we lived? Or was it because, she wasn't exposed to these? Anyways, I'm glad, these beans found me! My better half prepares the black eyed peas a different way, which is also tasty. Sometimes I think about starting a section of 'Bachelor Cooking' on this blog, because there are whole lot of items he can cook; the only problem is, I can never get the measurements right - mostly because, if he's cooking, then he acts as the master chef & treats me like his probie assistant in the kitchen. To top it off, he claims he finished the job in half the time, i take !! I wonder, how that happens ? Jokes apart, there are quite a few of his dishes I'm a fan of, which deserve a space on this blog. I hope he doesn't read this post,  if he does,I'm sure he'll get euphoric & use my words to his advantage someday :)

              For the CCChallenge this week, i decided to take up this recipe from one of  Sanjeev  Kapoor's Simply Vegetarian books. Although I have tweaked the recipe a little bit, to make it more flavorful & creamier - it is a delightful recipe you must try. 


Lobia Rassedar / Black Eyed Peas in Aromatic Gravy



Ingredients:

Black eyed peas (lobia) - 1.5 cups
Onions - 2 medium (finely chopped)
Tomato - 1 large (finely chopped)
Tomato puree - 1 cup
Coriander leaves - a few sprigs (finely chopped)
Ginger - 2" piece (chopped roughly)
Garlic - 8-10 cloves (peeled)
Oil - 3 Tbsp
Cumin seeds - 1 Tbsp 
Fenugreek seeds - 1/2 Tsp
Whole Kashmiri chillies - 2 no:s
Cinnamon - 2" stalk
Turmeric powder - 1/2 Tsp
Red chilli powder - 1 Tsp (Use if you want to spice up the dish)
Salt - to taste




  • Pick, wash the black eyed peas & pressure cook until soft.
  • Heat 1 Tbsp of oil in a pan & add Cumin seeds, Fenugreek seeds & Kashmiri chillies. Saute for two minutes on low heat stirring constantly till it emits a fragrant aroma. Let cool & grind with Ginger & Garlic, using a little water, to a smooth paste.
  • Heat remaining oil in a kadai. Add Cinnamon & when it begins to sizzle, add Onions & saute until lightly browned.
  • Add Tomatoes, tomato puree, ground paste, turmeric powder, red chilli powder & salt. Cover & let it cook in its own juices for 5-10 minutes.
  • Add boiled black eyed peas along with the water, cover & simmer for few more minutes.
  • Check seasoning, add chopped Coriander leaves & turn off the heat.
  • Serve hot with Milk Puri's , Phulkas, Roti, Naan or Rice.

Sending this over to 'My Legume Love Affair' event hosted by Simona. This wonderful event was created by Susan. Event rules & host line-up can be found in Lisa's Post. Please take a look at the delicious legume recipes here.
 


               

18 comments:

  1. I love the black-eyed peas and this looks good

    ReplyDelete
  2. My fav legume ! The curry looks delicious ....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a delicious gravy Suja..would love this with rotis..

    ReplyDelete
  4. We too don;t use this much and this recipe seems like the right time to start once again. Looks nice and would love to see the new bachelor section in your space :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you ladies, for your valuable comments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the kind words, Padmajha - if I start a section for him, he would get on cloud 9 & refuse to get down from there :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love black eyed peas and this curry looks yummy. Love your intro also - put a smile to my face as I imagine your hubby would have if he read the post :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your kind words, Mir! I'm yet to get his feedback, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too make this and love this with rice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Black eyed peas where not in my mom's pantry either and now I don't even remember when I started cooking with them. I too love them for their texture and quick cooking convenience.
    Love your rassedar lobhia recipe, will try!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been hiding this peas for very long time in my cupboard didnt really know what to do hurrayyyyyyyyyyy with ur help I now have a recipe thanks for the lovely recipe suja.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sure, Janani - Let me know, how you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a delicious gravy. Perfect with roti's

    ReplyDelete
  14. If it is of any consolation, I also didn't know about this legume for many years. In my case, it was moving to California that made the difference. Here they are a popular food for New Year. I like the spicy version you made. Thank you so much for contributing to MLLA. And Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for hosting a lovely event as MLLA (so aptly named). Happy New Year to you too, Simona :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...