How to make Gingery Date Treats
These delicious chewy treats were made as a part of the weekend menu for our dear friends, who were visiting us from out of town. I had made Chocolate Cup Cakes with Chocolate Glaze topped with pecans for adults & candies for the kids, which turned to be a hit. I chose this as a second treat because, I wanted something that was egg less for them. I was delighted to find this recipe in a book called 'Incredibly Easy Desserts' just in time for their visit. These treats are a healthy choice for adults & kids as well, with Candied Ginger, Dates & Pecans. If you like Ginger, then you will love the mildly spicy flavor from the candied Ginger combined with the sweetness of the Dates and the crunchiness of the Pecans.
Makes about 4 dozen
1.5 cups Gingersnap crumbs (about 20 broken cookies)
1 cup finely chopped Pecans
1 cup finely chopped Dates
1/2 cup finely chopped candied Ginger
1/4 tsp Salt
3/4 cup powdered Sugar, divided
1/2 cup light corn syrup
- Run the cookie pieces, in a food processor to make fine crumbs.
- Combine Gingersnap crumbs, Pecans, Dates, candied Ginger and Salt in a large bowl; stir until well blended.
- Add 1/4 cup powdered sugar and Corn syrup. Knead until mixture comes together.
- Shape into 1-inch balls. Spread remaining 1/2 cup powdered sugar on baking sheet; roll the balls in sugar to coat.
- Store in an air-tight container & relish, guilt free for days to come.
Notes: Since I didn't have enough, I used only half the required quantity of candied ginger & it was gingery enough for us. So, if you are doubtful about your ability to handle the heat from all that ginger, you could do the same.
Sending this over to Srivalli's CCChallenge