How to make Koyya Pazham Puli Kuzhambu
Guavas are eaten differently in different cultures, but I prefer them just plain, with no dips or sides. They are a little tart & delicious when they are not ripe, which is how I like it. The Mexican Guava beverage (Agua Fresca) is refreshing drink, one should try. Guavas have a high level of pectin & are great for making preserves, jams, marmalade's & toffees. Oh... what I wouldn't do for those delicious & chewy guava toffees right now, sigh !!
For this week's post I decided to do one of Chef Jacob's recipe that I had written down in my dairy. I was so shocked & saddened to the hear the news of his demise at such an early age, last year. He had become a part of so many homes, by being the host of a variety of cookery shows on television. The name of this dish intrigued me, and i made a note to myself to try this one, the next time i get my hands on some yummy Guavas. I chose, just ripe Apple Guavas (which has a white flesh) so they don't get mushy & disintegrate while cooking. Make sure you remove the seed portion of the fruit, unless you have strong teeth & enjoy eating the seeds as well.
2 cups seeded & cubed ripe guavas (2 medium Guavas)
3/4 cup peeled small/pearl onions
1/4 cup peeled garlic
1 Tsp chopped ginger
2 tomatoes chopped
1 Tsp Chilli powder
Salt - To taste
4 Tsp Coriander powder
1/4 Tsp Turmeric powder
Tamarind pulp - 1 Tbsp
1/2 cup Thick Coconut milk
Sesame oil - 2 Tbsp
1/2 Tsp Mustard seeds
1/2 Tsp Urad dal
A sprig of curry leaves
1 Tbsp chopped Coriander leaves
Dry roast & powder the following:
1 Tsp Sesame seeds/Ellu
1 Tsp Saunf/Fennel seeds
- Using 1 Tbsp of oil, saute the cubed Guava until it's lightly browned. Remove from oil & set aside.
- Add remaining oil & fry the mustard seeds, urad dal, next add curry leaves, peeled garlic & saute.
- After a few minutes add the pearl onions & chopped ginger & saute more.
- Next add the tomatoes, coriander powder, chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt - cook until the tomatoes get mushy.
- Add the tamarind pulp, required amount of water, Sesame+Fennel powder; stir, cover & simmer for few minutes.
- Once you get a nice aroma & the consistency of the gravy has thickened add the Guava cubes, coconut milk, simmer for a few more minutes, add chopped coriander leaves & turn off the heat.
- Serve hot with rice or your favorite entree.
Sending this to Srivalli's CCChallenge