How to make Stuffed Hot Peppers
I made these to go along with the Mexican themed party foods since I needed something that wasn't loaded with Carbs. I would suggest these hot pepper boats go in the 'Sides' category. As a plus, this is also a good source of Protein as there are Soy granules in the stuffing. If you find small peppers you could cut them across, which makes them more presentable. I decided to turn mine into boats so the pieces aren't too big for one serving.
|Stuffed Hot Peppers|
Ingredients:• 1/2 cup uncooked white rice
• 3/4 cup or more water as required for your type of rice.
• 4 bell peppers(Capsicum) of various colors
• 1 onion, chopped
• 4 tablespoons olive oil
• 8 ounces textured vegetable protein/Soy Granules
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or Cilantro
• 2 cups tomato sauce
• 4 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
• salt to taste
•ground black pepper or Cayenne pepper/Chilli Powder to taste
Directions1. Combine rice and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for about 15 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).
3. Cut tops off peppers, seed insides, and arrange peppers in a large baking dish. Chop usable portion of the tops. Roast the pepper halves in a 400F oven for 20- 25 mins uncovered.
4. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute chopped peppers and onions in oil until soft. Stir in textured vegetable protein and parsley. Reduce heat to low, and continue cooking for 5 minutes. Mix in cooked rice and 1 1/5 cups tomato sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon the mixture into the peppers, and top each with remaining tomato sauce.
5. Cover, and bake about 10 minutes. Uncover, top each pepper with mozzarella cheese, and bake until cheese is melted.