February 1, 2015

Mamidikaya Pappu/Dal with Green Mango

How to make Mamidikaya Pappu/Dal with Green Mango


        Does anyone ever think, they are addicted to something? Not usually! Unless there comes a time when you are deprived of that one thing & your mind is constantly thinking about how good it would be, if you could get your hands on it right now. Aren't I right? One of my friend, often says - You can do anything you want, as long as you don't get addicted to that habit.

      For so many years, I was under the impression - that I had no addictions; but I'm glad that it finally dawned on me that I was, in fact an addict!!! I recently decided to go cold turkey and have been quite successful so far. I have a few more days to go, and then I can declare myself as 'clean'!! And by the way, until my next post - I'll just leave you guys hanging.........Come back soon to find out more :)


Mamidikaya Pappu/Dal with Green Mango


Ingredients:

Sour raw Mango, peeled & cubed - 1 no:
Red gram dal - 1 Cup
Turmeric powder - 1/2 Tsp
Salt - to taste
Red chilli powder/Paprika - 1/2 Tsp
chopped, Coriander leaves - 2 Tbsp

For seasoning:

Sesame oil & Ghee mixed - 2 Tbsp (Can skip ghee, if vegan)
Asafoetida powder - a pinch
Mustard seeds - 1 Tsp
Black gram dal - 1 Tsp
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
Green chillies - 2 no:s, finely chopped
Grated ginger/Ginger paste - 1 Tsp
1 whole Red chilli/Slit Green chilli - for garnishing




Method -

  • Pressure cook dal along with Turmeric powder, to a soft consistency.
  • Heat oil & ghee mixture; add asafoetida powder, mustard seeds, black gram dal & fry on a slow flame along with curry leaves, green chillies, grated ginger, grated mango, chilli powder until you get a flavorful aroma.
  • Add salt and 1/2 a cup of water & let the mango cook in it. Finally add the cooked dal, add more water if needed, simmer for a few minutes & remove from heat when desired consistency (thick gravy) is acquired. 
  • Sprinkle chopped coriander leaves & serve hot with steamed Rice, Roti or Naan.

Sending this recipe over to MLLA #80 event that was initiated by Susan of The Well Seasoned Cook, taken on by Lisa Turner of Food and Spice & hosted this month by Shaheen of Allotment2Kitchen.

This recipe is minimally adapted from a paper clipping from The Hindu. I added a couple of additional spices to enhance the flavor of this healthy dal. Sending it over to Srivalli's CCChallenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...