How to make Orange Peel Pachadi/Chutney
The skin/peel of many fruits and vegetables can be used to cook a variety of dishes. It's one way to use up the nutrients & fiber, which would otherwise go to waste. Once you try cooking with the peels, you will discover that, it takes the dish to a whole new level. In some households, the peels are simply cooked as an economic choice. Either way, I'm all in when it comes to cooking with peels. Here's an aromatic, lip-smacking Pachadi, which can be made using the peel of a Navel Orange or Kamala Orange. No matter which variety you use; make sure the peel is thick & fleshy. Organic is best; if unavailable, use a Veggie wash to remove any pesticide residue.
In the Tamil language, there is a phrase called 'Arusuvai Unavu', which means 'Six Flavors'. A good Tamil feast is supposed to include six flavors into it. Those six flavors being -
Inippu - Sweet - ex: sugar, starchy foods
Pulippu - Sour - ex: citrus fruits, buttermilk
Uvarppu - Salty - ex: all salty foods
Kaarppu - Pungent/Hot - ex: peppers, ginger
Kasappu - Bitter - ex: bitter gourd, neem flowers
Thuvarppu - Astringent - ex: pomegranate, betel leaves
This recipe is definitely one of those dishes, which has all six of the flavors in it. Our daily schedules are so hectic, many, do not even have time for a decent sit-down meal; leave alone a six-flavor meal; the best we can do is to incorporate a six-flavor dish when possible. We are, what we eat, after all!
Ingredients for 4 servings:
1 Cup of chopped Orange peel (Navel Orange or Kamala Orange)
1 Tbsp, Tamarind Paste or about 1 Cup of Tamarind extract
1 Tbsp, crushed Jaggery
2 Tbsp of Oil
1 Tsp, Mustard seeds
1/8 Tsp, Asafoetida/Hing
1/8 Tsp, Turmeric powder
A sprig of Curry leaves
About a Cup of water
Salt to taste
To roast in oil & grind:
1/2 Tbsp, broken Urad dal
1 or 2, dry red chillies
Chopped or grated Coconut, about 1 Tbsp
Stove Top Method:
- Heat a pan, add 1 Tsp of Oil, add the ingredients for roasting. Roast on a low-medium heat until the chillies are crisp and aromatic. Transfer contents to a mixer/blender & grind them when it has cooled down.
- Reheat the remaining Oil in the pan, add Mustard seeds, Curry leaves and Asafoetida, followed by the chopped Orange peel and saute on medium heat, until the peel starts to change color.
- Follow with Turmeric powder, Tamarind paste, Salt, Jaggery and a cup of water. Cover & cook for a few minutes, until the peel gets tender.
- Now add the roast & ground mixture to the Pachadi, and simmer for a couple of minutes, before serving.
- Serve with your favorite meal. Goes great with the humble Curd rice.
This recipe has been adapted from THE HINDU. Sharing this lip-smacking recipe with my friends at CCChallenge.