How to bake Sugar Cookies
Sugar cookies are very appealing to the eye as it is the perfect base for frosting, sprinkles and other sweet decorations. Kids go for it anytime like their other all-time favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies. Sugar cookies can be made with a cookie press or may be rolled and cut into shapes moreover, it is fun to decorate with kids either with icing or sparkling sugar. I have only used colored sugar here, you can also do some icing & decorations on top like I did on my Lime shortbread trees. The point is to have fun with your baking, this holiday season. Happy Holidays!!
Makes about 130 small cookies
(I only made half the quantity)
3 & 2/3rd cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted & cooled
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar (I used white sugar)
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
3 large eggs
Optional Gadget - Cookie Press
(can also be made without the cookie press)
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Put the flour, baking soda, salt, & cinnamon into a small mixing bowl, whisk to combine; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the butter & sugar. Using an electric beater, mix until light & fluffy. Mix in the vanilla & then the eggs, one at a time, until completely combined. Add the reserved dry ingredients & mix on low speed, until just combined.
- At this point, you can divide the dough into two parts & add desired food color.
- (OPTIONAL STEP) ONLY FOR COOKIE PRESS USERS - Assemble the cookie press with the desired disc. Load the cookie dough, just until the max fill line. Press cookie dough out onto a greased baking pan about 1 inch apart. You can add sparkling sugar sprinkles if you like at this point.
- FOR USERS NOT USING A COOKIE PRESS - Since the dough is made a little softer than usual, we need to dust it with some more flour to get the right consistency. Wrap in plastic & refrigerate for 3 hours. Lightly dust your work surface & roll out your dough about 1/4" thick & use your cookie cutters to cut out your favorite shapes. Lift the cut-out cookies using small spatulas or nylon spreaders and assemble on the baking sheet about 1" apart. You can add sparkling sugar sprinkles if you like at this point.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes, or until lightly golden around the edges.
- Cool cookies before removing from the pan & transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Sharing this recipe from my cookie press booklet with my fellow bloggers at SriValli's CCC #52 December Week 4.