How to make Pudalangai Poriyal/Snake gourd Curry
The Snake Gourd (Pudalangai in Tamil) was not on my favorites list until I tasted a variation of this vegetable at my friends (Ms.U) place. That reminds me, I should try to get that recipe from her. If you or anyone in your family is like most of us, then you should definitely try this recipe. This is a very easy & tasty recipe which needs just a few simple ingredients.
Ingredients:Snake Gourd 250 gm - Chopped finely & steamed
1 Onion - finely chopped
1/2 a tomato - finely chopped
Dry red chillies - 1/2 or 1 no:
Poppy seeds - 1 tbsp (soak in warm water for few minutes)
Oil - 2 tsp
Grated coconut - 2 tbsp
Turmeric powder - a pinch
Jeera - 1 tbsp
Curry leaves - a few
Coriander leaves - for garnishing
- Wash & slit the snake gourd in half lengthwise to remove the seeds & discard. Finely chop the vegetable & steam it along with rice or in the microwave with a little salt & 1/2 cup of water.
- For the masala - Grind the coconut, red chilli & the poppy seeds into a fine paste & set aside.
- Heat a pan with oil & add Jeera & curry leaves, when it splutters add the onion & saute until translucent.
- Add the chopped tomato & turmeric powder & stir until the tomatoes are cooked.
- Now add the steamed snake gourd, salt & the masala paste & stir until all the water has evaporated & you get a good aroma. Taste & Garnish.