January 31, 2014

Tomato Masale Huli / Tomato Coconut Sambar

How to make Tomato Coconut Sambar / Tomato Masale Huli


               I still remember the first time, I tried out this dish from The Hindu during my late teens. I was at my Grandma's place & one fine day, she got busy with other chores far away from the kitchen. That's when I decided to make use of the opportunity & try to cook. I read & read the recipe, word by word countless times, to be sure I got everything just right. I didn't want to get into trouble with Gram pa, plus I wanted to prove to myself that I could cook (After all, I hardly ever got a chance to explore my culinary skills). I was so happy with the results, I went hopping over to my friends/neighbors to share, what i had whipped up - OK fine, you caught me!! To 'show-off' that I could cook :o)

             So, it doesn't matter whether you are a novice cook, just exploring your culinary skills in the kitchen or an experienced culinarian; this recipe will not disappoint you for sure. It goes great with Rice & a curry - I served it with Vendakai Poriyal/Okra fry. It can also be served with other Indian breakfast items like Idli, Dosa, Uthappam etc, which reminds me about the Uthappam post, dozing off in my draft. Will get to it sometime soon. Anyways, linking this post to Srivalli's CCChallenge, which is a wonderful way to share recipes from print, on the blogosphere.               
            

Tomato Masale Huli (Tomato Coconut sambar) from Udupi.


Ingredients for 6 Servings:

Toor Dal - 1/2 Cup
Ripe Tomatoes - 6 to 8 Medium sized - Chopped into 8 pcs each
Green Chillies, Slit - 2 no:s
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
Salt to taste
Turmeric Powder - a pinch
Jaggery powder - 1 Tsp
Tamarind juice from a marble sized ball

Roast in oil & grind to a paste:

Coconut Oil - 1 Tbsp
Dry Red Chillies - 3 no:s
Coriander seeds - 2 Tbsp
Cumin seeds - 1Tsp
Fenugreek seeds- 1/4 Tsp
1 Sprig of Curry leaves
Grated Coconut - 1/2 Cup

For Tempering:

Coconut Oil - 1 Tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 Tsp
1 Dry Red Chilly




Method:

  • Pressure cook the dal with double the amount of water. Mash well & keep aside.
  • Heat 1 Tbsp of oil in a pan, lower the flame & add the Fenugreek seeds. Fry until golden & aromatic. Now add the Coriander seeds, Cumin seeds & 3 Red Chillies and fry till all the ingredients get well roasted & aromatic. Add a sprig of Curry leaves & the Coconut, fry for a minute; remove from flame & allow it to cool. Powder finely using a mixie/blender, use water if required to make a smooth paste.
  • In a thick bottomed vessel, boil the Tamarind water, Jaggery, Green Chillies & Salt, with a pinch of Turmeric powder; until the raw smell of Tamarind disappears.
  • Add the Dal & the cut Tomatoes. When the dal boils & the tomatoes are slightly cooked, add the ground paste and a sprig of Curry leaves. Let the Sambar boil just once. Remove  from fire.
  • Heat 1 Tbsp of oil, add the Mustard seeds & 1 Dry Red Chilli into it & fry. When the Mustard splutters, pour onto Sambar & serve hot with Rice.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...