January 1, 2014

Sour Cream Apple Pie with Streusel Topping

How to make Sour Cream Apple Pie with Streusel Topping


              Happy New Year, folks!! I'm glad, that I got around to crossing off, something on my to do list. For a long time now, I have been wanting to make a pie & I finally got myself to make this amazing 'Sour Cream Apple Pie' for new year's eve to bid farewell to 2013 & welcome 2014 with some sweet stuff. I don't remember, the last time; I went Oooooh & Aaaaaah over any dessert. I don't mean to be boastful but when i tasted this warm pie, I felt like taking a bow, for every bite i took. Not that I, did anything great - the magic, is in the ingredients &  the method. The butter in the topping caramelizes the brown sugar, roasts the flour & oats to perfection to make an out of the world crunchy, sweet & chewy Streusel topping and it is balanced well by the tart apples & sour cream beneath it. To be more precise, let me just tell you that the 'Apple Pie' is not my favorite kind of pie.

            You could even, try this recipe without the bottom crust/shell. Yeah, you read it right, that is if you want to cut down big, on calories & fat. If you want to make something that's just the right size for a sm all family & not feed a crowd, just use half of the given ingredients, skip the crust & call it a cobbler !! Trust me, I have done that too ;o) Scroll down for that picture.

Sour Cream Apple Pie with Streusel Topping






Serves - 6-8 based on serving size

Ingredients:

A 9" Pie shell - Find out how to make a Buttery & Flaky Pie Crust.

For the filling:
1 cup Sour cream
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbsp flour
1/4 Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Vanilla
1 Egg
3-4 cups of Granny Smith Apples (3-4 Green Apples)

For the Streusel Topping:
1/2 cup Light brown sugar
3 Tbsp Flour
3 Tbsp Old fashioned Oats
1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
3 Tbsp room temp Butter

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl add sour cream, egg, sugar, flour, salt and vanilla. Mix well & fold in apples.
    Pour into unbaked pie shell. Bake for 30 minutes or until the filling is set when tested with a knife.
  • While it's baking, combine all streusel topping ingredients in a bowl & rub through fingers to incorporate the butter well.
     Mix until large crumbs are formed. Keep it refrigerated until needed. 
  •  When the pie is done, remove from oven, add streusel topping. Bake an additional 20 minutes or until pie begins to bubble. (If you notice, that the crust is browning more than required, cover it with foil for 10 minutes & bake with the streusel topping) 
  • Remove from oven & let sit for few minutes, before slicing your pie to get perfect slices. 
  • Eat as is, or top with Ice cream & serve warm.
Sorry I couldn't get good shots, before serving them, to our dear friends  (cos' I didn't have any daylight left), but as you can see, by the next day; most of the pie was gone :)

No Crust Apple Pie/Cobbler 



Recipe adapted from various sources.

1 comment:

  1. This looks so yummy :) Well explained recipe.
    .Happy New Year
    Please participate in my event :) There are 2 giveaways as well :)
    http://merrytummy.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/cook-with-red-event-and-giveaways.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...