How to make Thakkali Dosai/Tomato Dosa
How many times can you make the same old breakfast and dinner items, before someone in your family raises their voice and protests? In my home, that someone would be me :) When you have made all of the usual dishes and crave for something different to surprise your family, why not try this sweet and sour, tangy and spicy Dosa? Did you know, this Dosa needs no fermentation? Just grind and make your dosa's immediately and enjoy with this chutney.
Ingredients for 4 servings:
Raw rice - 1.5 cups
Ripe Tomatoes - 5 to 7 depending on sourness
Red gram dal/Tuar dal - 3 Tbsp
Tamarind - gooseberry sized
Red chilli - 3 to 5
Asafoetida - 1/8 Tsp
Salt to taste
1 Tsp of Sugar (Optional)
Oil - Enough to make dosa's
- Wash and soak Raw Rice in enough water for 2 hours.
- Soak Red gram dal, Tamarind & Red chillies in just enough water for about 30 minutes.
- Cut Tomatoes roughly into large chunks.
- Take a mixer/blender; drain and add Red gram dal, Tamarind & Red chillies in just enough water and grind to a smooth paste.
- Add cut Tomatoes & grind until tomatoes are pureed.
- Now drain and add to it, the soaked rice in small batches and grind finely. If needed transfer contents into a bowl & add remaining rice and grind into a smooth batter using the tomato puree (instead of water).
- When all the rice has been ground; add Salt, Sugar & Asafoetida to the batter and if required, add a little water to change the batter into a pour able consistency.
- Heat tawa/dosa pan on medium heat, pour a laddle full of the batter on to the hot tawa and shape into a moderately thin circle. Drizzle oil around and cook until the bottom is completely cooked; now flip the dosa and cook until done. Repeat this process to make more dosa's.
- Serve hot with Thengai-Pottukadalai Chutney and enjoy your meal.
Sharing this delicious recipe from Mallika Badrinath with Sri Valli & friends at CCChallenge.