How to make tangy beetroot salad
Nothing beats the beets to help detox your system. Raw beets tend to give off an earthy aroma. That's why the beets in this salad are semi/flash cooked to make it more appetizing. Add to that, some raw mango, lemon juice, coconut & peanuts; and you got yourself a wonderfully delicious & nutritious side. I found this quick & easy salad recipe in my Isha recipe book. Sending this scrumptious recipe over to CCC# 32: May--Week 2. Give this beetroot salad a try today!
Ingredients for 2 servings:
1 medium sized Beetroot -peeled & grated
1 tsp, Lemon juice
1 tbsp, fresh grated Coconut
2 tbsp, green Mango - grated
1 tbsp, Peanuts (soaked overnight or dry roasted)
½ tsp, Pepper powder
Salt to taste
For the seasoning:1 tsp, oil
½ tsp, Mustard
½ tsp, Split, husked black gram/Urad dal
¼ tsp, Chickpea/Bengal gram dal
A few shredded curry leaves
Stove top method:
- Place the grated beetroot in a clean fine cloth (or squeeze with hands) and lightly squeeze out some juice. (you can use the juice in other recipes)
- Heat a wok/pan on medium heat, pour the oil and splutter the mustard seeds. Add the Urad and chickpea dal and brown it, add curry leaves and sauté lightly. Turn up the heat and, add the beetroot and give it a quick stir. Turn off the heat in about 30 secs.
- Mix in the juice of half a lemon, the grated mango, grated coconut, salt, pepper powder, and the peanuts. Stir all the ingredients & serve cold.
- If you prefer, you can use raw beets as well. Either way, make sure you squeeze out the juice, so your salad doesn't get soggy.
- Feel free to add carrots or other vegetables of your choice to this combo.