How to make Almond Jam Macaroons (Gluten & Dairy free)
I have always loved a recipe which does not use ingredients, that are empty carb. Here is one such recipe, which uses blanched almonds as the main ingredient, that has all kinds of health aspects in it. If you would like to further cut down on calories, you can skip the jam topping; as the macaroons are sweet enough on their own. I have been making these healthy cookies/macaroons for a couple of years, since the time it was aired on a TV show. Sharing this delightfully chewy & healthy recipe with my friends at CCC# 31: April -- Week 4.
Ingredients for about 20 macaroons:1.5 cups blanched almonds (How to blanch almonds)
1/3 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 large egg white
1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup of your favorite jam
(I used raspberry jam & fig preserves)
- In a food processor, finely grind blanched & dried almonds, until finely powdered. Add & blend sugar, & salt to the powdered almonds. Add egg whites and vanilla; pulse until a sticky ball is formed. You can transfer contents to a bowl & knead a couple of times to ensure even mixing of ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie/baking sheet with parchment paper.
- With wet hands(dough will be very sticky), shape level tablespoons of dough into (about one inch) little balls, and flatten slightly. Place on lined baking sheets, use moist finger or the back of a rounded spoon to make an indentation in the center of each cookie.
- Bake until they are slightly golden on the bottom/edges, and crackled on the top; for about 10 to 12 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes, and transfer to a rack.
- Meanwhile, warm jam over low heat or in microwave in 10-second intervals until slightly liquefied and easy to spoon. Spoon jam filling into each cookie. Let set, for a few minutes.
- To store: Place in layers, separated with parchment paper in an air tight container & enjoy your sweet & chewy treat with tea or as your dessert.
- For the best tasting macaroons, remove from oven when white. Do not let them brown & crisp.
- You can also purchase almond flour to use directly in the recipe, and save some time, blanching & powdering.
- To cut down on calories, you can skip the jam topping; as the macaroons are sweet enough on their own.
- These do not rise or expand during baking, as there is no added, leavening agent.
- Rotate your tray half way through to achieve even browning.