How to make Mexican Mini Pies
Is it a Cup Cake? Is it a Muffin? No, it's a Mexican Mini Pie!! These Mexican Mini Pies can be easily made using pancake mix and muffin tins. These delicious cheesy pies are stuffed with savory black beans, onion and corn. These Mexican Mini Pies can be served as a starter and is a great finger food for casual gatherings. I skipped the Sour-Cream and garnishes, so it would be easy for kids to handle.
Servings - 12
For the Veggie Mixture
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup onion, chopped
1 to 2 Jalapenos/chipotle chilies
1/2 cup frozen corn
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1 cup canned black beans, drained & rinsed
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (4 oz)
For the Baking batter
1/2 cup pancake mix
1/2 cup milk
Garnishes, if desired
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half
1 avocado, pitted, peeled and diced
1/2 cup sour cream (1 tablespoon per pie)
- Heat oven to 375°F. Spray 12 regular-size muffin cups with cooking spray.
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, chillies, frozen corn and garlic; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add oregano, salt, lime juice, beans and cilantro, stirring until combined. Remove from heat. Cool 5 minutes; stir in cheese.
- In medium bowl, stir baking mixture with whisk until blended. Spoon 1 scant Tbsp baking batter into each muffin cup. Top with about 1/4 cup veggie mixture. Spoon 1 Tbsp baking batter onto veggie mixture in each muffin cup.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, and tops are golden brown. With thin knife, loosen sides of pies from pan; remove from pan and place top sides up on cooling rack. Cool 5 minutes, and serve with garnishes or your favorite sauce.
I found this easy veggie pie recipe here.