How to make Sabudana (Tapioca pearls) Kichidi
This is a popular Vrat (religious fast) recipe in
but you don’t have to be fasting to
enjoy this chewy, hearty dish. Being rich in Carbs, this can be served for
breakfast or an evening snack. Maharashtra, India-
You will love the delicate balance of spicy-sweet & tangy flavors in this savory Upma, which is further made interesting, with golden roasted potatoes and crushed crunchy peanuts. This can be eaten by itself, but if you like; you can have some yogurt or pickle on the side & gobble away.
Ingredients:1 cup Sabudana (Sago/Small White Tapioca pearls)
1/2 tsp Sugar
2 Green Chillies - finely chopped
1/2 cup coarsely crushed groundnuts
1 Potato - peeled & cubed
2 tbsp Oil
1/4 tsp Cumin seeds
1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds
1 Pinch Hing (asafoetida)
2 tbsp grated fresh Coconut
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
Salt to taste
Curry Leaves for garnish
- Wash and soak Sabudana in water just enough to loosen and plump up; for a minimum of 2 hrs. Use a fork to gently fluff them up, so the balls are separate.
- Chop the potatoes into small cubes.
- Heat the oil preferably in a Non-stick pan and add mustard seeds. When the mustard seed crackle add cumin seeds, hing, green chillies and curry leaves.
- Add potatoes and saute until slightly browned almost done. Now add the crushed groundnuts, sugar & salt to it.
- Add the soaked & drained Sabudana and toss gently, cover & cook for few minutes.
- Mix in the grated coconut and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Turn off the heat & drizzle some lemon juice over it, stir and serve hot.